Tuesday, August 9, 2011

#3 What I Learned: Networking is Key

Before I came out to DC, networking was not my best skill. I tend to be slightly introverted, so I knew I had to push myself. As soon as we flew into the city, we were told to make business cards for networking purposes. Reluctantly, I went to the FedEx website and entered in my information. Of course, the next brutal step was picking out the design and color. What would people think if I went with a classic style card? Too boring or just classy? I guess that bright florescent green floral design is out of the question (but it is fun)!

Once the cards were made, I was ready to network. Networking ended up not being the difficult task I though it was. Most people wanted to know the basics; where I was from and how my experience was going. Being from the midwest, growing up on the reservation and a recent college graduate, I was able to discuss a number of issues. It does take a lot of effort to work a large group of people.From a leadership workshop at Minnesota State University Student Association, I discovered I was introverted and shed some light on this personality character. Yes, I was introverted, but all that means is that I thrive in close knit conversations.  I enjoyed networking when the setting was smaller and more intimate.

With John McCain at the Udall Reception, he asked about the Sturgis Rally!
Networking is a vital aspect in DC. Employment is almost dependent on it. When applying for a job, it is a boost if you know someone in the office. Every time I collected a business card, I would send a quick email to that person thanking them for their time at the reception. This helped them remember who I was and what organization I was with.

In the end, networking isn't that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment